#154 What do Jihadists Really Want
This is one of the topics that most appeals to the whacko right-of-center
segment of Sam's base. But it's important not to judge the strength of an
argument by the whackos it attracts.
My primary objection to the overall content of this
particular podcast is that Sam's bias seems to be preventing him from seeing
clearly the traps he so nimbly detects in his opponents' views. Anyone who has
listened to him learns very quickly that he hates it—HATES IT—when people try
to second guess what he says.
And indeed one of the very first things Sam tells us is that
we should believe what people say about themselves and stop trying to
second-guess their motives. Jihadists want to kill all of us infidels because
the Koran tells them to. Choosing not to believe them would be as foolish as
choosing not to believe a medical student who tells us that he's studying to be
a doctor because he wants to help people.
Oh—except that Sam allows that the medical student may also
be in it for the money. Or the prestige. Or scientific curiosity.
But getting back to jihadists—they all want to kill us
because their religion is inferior. Sure, he says, there may be some "local"
jihadists who are only beheading US Marines because their leaders told them to.
But that's beside the point for Sam. And he even says it would be crazy to
think that there aren't some Muslims who want to kill us because of the horrors
of colonialism. But don't let that distract you.They really want to kill us because
they hate our freedoms. George W was right!
If you don't agree with Sam, you are a "Muslim
apologist." Or even worse, you are a self-described "woke"
liberal, meaning your weak mind has been befuddled by—what? I don't know, too
much empathy, perhaps.
Now, I love laughing at foolishness as much as the next
self-righteous science nerd. I love skewering the befuddled, mocking the
wrong-headed, and kicking the bottom tiles of the Jenga stack that is the
average American mind. I love it almost as much as Sam does.
Which is why I'm going to hoist you by your own petard, Sam.
Let's take a swipe at your Jenga stack, for you seem to be blind to the
fallacies of your own argument:
1 1)
You acknowledge that your own example of medical
students may have multiple and complex reasons for choosing their path
2 2)
you acknowledge that it would be absurd to
ignore the effects of colonialism, and then do so
3 3)
you acknowledge that the power of cult
leadership may also play a role
4 4)
It requires a disturbing level of intellectual
hubris to think you're smarter than everyone else and that you're the only one
who sees this clearly.
Sam's premise is that jihadists
exist mostly because Islam is a religion with "more than its share of bad
ideas." But it is entirely possible that he's wrong. That the whackos in
the Muslim community who think infidels should be killed may not speak for a
significant portion of the "Muslim community." If that is even a
thing.
Were I to (gasp) try to second-guess Sam's motivations, I'd
say it's pretty clear that he planted a big, fat, flamboyant flag in the whole
end-of-faith, four-horsemen camp, and that's why he is blind to the above
problems.
Let me repeat that I mostly agree with Sam. In fact I think
he's the closest thing I've ever heard to The Voice Of Reason. Indeed, I don't
dispute that Islam has more than its share of bad ideas. Further, I buy into Sam's
notion that Episcopalians, Jews, etc. have benefited from several hundred extra
years of civilizing effects and are now more likely than Muslims to frown on
beheading infidels.
But I also note that Zionists were the first modern terrorists when they were being globally persecuted and in search of a safe place, in the early to mid 1900s. Nobody who has half a brain would now say that proves their religion is
uncivilized or murderous. They would instead correctly acknowledge the dramatic
and pernicious effect of global persecution on a population.
And I think Sam needs to do the same for Muslims. Even if it
alienates the whackos in his base.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your interest in posting a comment on this blog. If you can keep it civil, it will show up here as fast as we can get to it.