I'm going to be frank in that, for me, it doesn't carry a lot of interesting information. There were a few quote-worthy remarks to come out of the interview, but I'm not sure I'm 100% behind every one of this guy's worries.
The best thing about the episode is that Roger doesn't paint himself as an expert and he isn't trying to convince anyone the sky is falling. It's really just a high-octane conversation between two very smart people, which makes it a thousand times more interesting than the next best thing out there right now (in April 2019, that would be Captain Marvel).
One of the best quotes to come out of the episode is something along the lines of, "we need to ask how is it okay for Google to sell data they collect on minors."
Pretty much sums up all you need to know about the episode.
If you want a few more high points, I'd go with:
-"We’re not the customer and we're not even the product. We’re the fuel.”
-“I don’t believe that Facebook and Twitter will be as profitable than they have to clean up the toxic digital spills that they create.”
-"The Google Maps app is collecting meta data to process and sell. The Apple maps app doesn't do that."
Here are a few disagreements I have with this conversation:
Roger thinks Google is training their artificial Driving programs with our "Captcha" answers about which pictures have stoplights in them. That we're training their computers how to recognize stoplights. But that doesn't make any sense. If Captcha is going to know how or whether our responses are correct, then it already knows which pictures have stoplights in them.
Roger seems to think he doesn’t have any business relationship with Equifax and so they shouldn't have access to his data. But unless I'm mistaken, you sign a release when you accept a credit card. And the fine print on the release is the bank will share your data with their partners.
I'm also not convinced that the free giving away of all of this data is something to worry about. He does cite one conceivably nefarious example where Google figures out that your jerky mouse movements mean you have some disease, and sells that data to your insurance company so they can drop you. Which is pretty far-fetched. And would be rendered obsolete if this country ever gives up its obsession with jingoist yahooism and adopts universal health care.
Roger seems to think he doesn’t have any business relationship with Equifax and so they shouldn't have access to his data. But unless I'm mistaken, you sign a release when you accept a credit card. And the fine print on the release is the bank will share your data with their partners.
I'm also not convinced that the free giving away of all of this data is something to worry about. He does cite one conceivably nefarious example where Google figures out that your jerky mouse movements mean you have some disease, and sells that data to your insurance company so they can drop you. Which is pretty far-fetched. And would be rendered obsolete if this country ever gives up its obsession with jingoist yahooism and adopts universal health care.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your interest in posting a comment on this blog. If you can keep it civil, it will show up here as fast as we can get to it.