Official Notes:
In this episode of the
Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Robin Hanson about our hidden motives
in everyday life. They discuss selfishness, hypocrisy, norms and meta-norms,
cheating, deception, self-deception, education, the evolutionary logic of
conversation, social status, signaling and counter-signaling, common knowledge,
AI, and many other topics.
Robin has a pretty
cynical view of people and tries to cover the appalling things he says with a
deprecating chuckle every time he talks. By the end of the hour that gets old.
Also, this has the disadvantage of being before a live audience, with all the irritating features that come with this forum.
As for the actual content of the podcast, I'm not sure there's much in here that's very deep. If I were Sam and not afraid of offending the guest, I'd label the episode "Extreme Cynicism." Because that seems to be all there is here.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your interest in posting a comment on this blog. If you can keep it civil, it will show up here as fast as we can get to it.