Monday, April 16, 2018

Who am I and what makes me think anyone will want to read this?

This blog is about Sam Harris, not me. Though I recognize that the reader may want some background on me as the blog author. So here's a brief bio.

I'm a straight white male who has worked in various technical fields since getting a PhD in theoretical physics nearly 30 years ago. I also write poetry and fiction--mostly near-term futurist stuff.

I first discovered Sam Harris about three months ago, listening to a TED Radio Hour broadcast which included Sam discussing his concerns about AI in the near future. His eloquent thoughtfulness captivated me, as it has for millions of other people around the country. Intrigued, I Googled him and made my way to his Waking Up podcast.

For the past months, I've blissfully listened to many really wonderful conversations on Sam's podcast. Some of them have been very eye-opening. Some have been mostly good, though perhaps downplaying some point I perceived to be critical. Others didn't really shake me up much one way or the other. And a few have strayed so far from the norms of good conversation to be hilarious in their incoherence. But, even in those last few, Sam's graciousness and steadfast desire to really try reach an understanding is inspirational. He makes me wish I could even be half as rational and considerate when I talk to people that obstreperous.

Indeed, if you have the time and inclination, I urge you to skip this blog and go play all 120+ podcasts (preferably in chronological order!) and I wish upon you the same bliss of intellectual stimulation that I've felt.

But if you prefer to start by merely dipping a toe in this water to see how it suits you, then please have a look at my subsequent blog entries for the episodes (to date) that I recommend the most highly--and the ones I don't.

And let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in posting a comment on this blog. If you can keep it civil, it will show up here as fast as we can get to it.